Tuesday, June 30: Day 27: Resting in Prideaux Haven
Photo of an Ouzel Bird - see below why this bird is here.
Restful Nights and Remarkable Songbirds
Last night was the definition of relaxing. After a wonderful happy hour catching up with our friends, we headed back to the boat to watch another episode of The Resident. Because we had filled up on snacks during happy hour, neither of us was hungry for a proper dinner. Instead, we decided to queue up our show early, pop a big bowl of popcorn, and finish off that sweet blackberry wine we bought in Lund the other day. Between the cozy cabin and the wine, I was already drifting off to sleep before the episode even finished.
I awoke today having slept for over nine full hours—a total rarity for me! It was a truly magnificent night’s sleep. I didn’t even have to crawl out of the V-berth to use the head once, though I did wake up just a few times to roll over and get comfortable.
By the time I officially opened my eyes, Greg was already up and busy feeding Artemus. I hopped out of bed, brewed our morning coffee, and settled in to do the daily Wordle and Canuckle. Today's Canuckle answer was OUZEL.
Since the game always features a uniquely Canadian theme, it provides a little daily history lesson. Today's tidbit about the Ouzel was incredibly interesting—honestly, maybe the most fascinating thing I’ve learned about a Canadian bird in a very long time! Here is what the game shared about it:
The water ouzel, known today as the American dipper, is Canada’s only truly aquatic songbird, found along fast, cold mountain streams from the Yukon through British Columbia and Alberta’s Rockies. This stout, slate-grey bird can do something no other Canadian songbird does: walk along the bottom of rushing streams, “flying” through the current as it hunts for aquatic insects and small prey. It constantly bobs and dips on streamside rocks, a behaviour that gave it its name, and it is even known to sing in the depths of winter. Its ability to plunge into icy, fast-moving water makes the dipper one of Canada’s most remarkable wild birds.
Finding Peace in the Haven
I did end up missing my window of opportunity to do my Tai Chi yesterday morning before we left Lund. It was a bit chilly and breezy, which didn't exactly attract me to getting out on the breakwater before our 10:00 AM departure.
Usually, I really prefer it when we stay put in one spot for at least a couple of days so I can just catch my breath and relax. But looking around at where we are right now, I am so incredibly glad we made the move when we did. Being tucked away in this calm, stunning haven is so much better than being tied to a breakwater out by the open ocean in Lund!
After dinner, it was time for one more round of dishes, another cozy episode of The Resident, and then off to bed.
There was no swimming for me today, even though the water did manage to warm up slightly to 69°F. I had originally classified today as a "No Day" for me, but as I look back, I realize that wasn't entirely true. I worked on the blog, caught up on emails, and even managed to get my TOPS spreadsheet partially updated. I had a problem signing on to the bank for the current balance, so I decided to quit that for the day. My brain had had enough today. I guess it wasn't a total "No Day" after all, which means I accomplished several important things that really needed to be done.
After dinner, it was time for one more round of dishes, another cozy episode of The Resident, and then off to bed.
- Comments are Welcome! Please feel free to chime in—just make sure to hit PUBLISH when you are done. If you aren't signed into a Google account, your comment will show up as "Anonymous," so please type your first name and last initial in the comment box so I know who I'm replying to! (If you are signed into Google, your name will show up automatically.)
- Check Back for Updates: I quite often write and update this blog as the day goes by. If you want to catch the whole story, be sure to check back and refresh your browser! I've also been known to add details after the day is over—or even days later if I suddenly remember something I forgot to include.



Comments
Post a Comment
If you are commenting without a Google account opened, please put your name at the end of your message. Thank you! 😎