June 8: Day 5: Smuggler Cove

Tucked into Smuggler’s Cove

We woke to a bit of wind. After a slow coffee, we moved over to Smuggler’s Cove, just a short distance away. With the stern secured to the shoreline, the boat felt like a floating cabin nestled in the trees.

The wind had not amounted to anything so Greg took Artemus ashore for a walk, leaving me with a quiet cabin to sort through photos and jot down notes.

Luckily, I had the mindset to snap some photos after they left the boat and arrived at shore:



Our peaceful routine was punctuated by a bit of reality, though; looking into mainsail replacements for a 38-foot boat, we found that even Canadian lofts quote their prices in US dollars. A standard cruising main runs between $2,000 and $3,500 USD—which translates to over $5,000 CAD once you factor in the exchange rate and taxes. It's a bracing reminder of the costs that come with this lifestyle.

As the afternoon wore on, the off-and-on drizzle settled into a steady, constant rain. I missed my window for a shore walk and was starting to feel a bit of cabin fever setting in. Thankfully, my good friend Iris shared some boat-friendly exercises with me. Spending some time on the cabin sole doing Tai Chi and a few deep squats was just what I needed to shake off the restlessness.

We ended the day cozy in the cockpit, listening to the rain tap against the canvas while enjoying a comforting dinner of stuffed peppers, a crisp Greek salad, and a glass of Enrico Braveheart red wine, compliments of Iris. Simple canned peaches in pear juice for dessert made the perfect, sweet finish to a rainy day.



  • Comments are Welcome! Please feel free to chime in—just make sure to hit PUBLISH when you are done. If you aren't signed into a Google account, your comment will show up as "Anonymous," so please type your first name and last initial in the comment box so I know who I'm replying to! (If you are signed into Google, your name will show up automatically.)
  • Check Back for Updates: I quite often write and update this blog as the day goes by. If you want to catch the whole story, be sure to check back and refresh your browser! I've also been known to add details after the day is over—or even days later if I suddenly remember something I forgot to include.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday, July 14: Day 41: An Unusual Day on Lasqueti

Thursday, July 2: Day 29: Rainy Day in Prideaux Haven

June 4: Day 1: Departure from Maple Bay