June 22: Day 19: Our last Day at the MacDonald Mooring and Princess Louisa Inlet

Today began early again—I awoke at 6:00 am and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and started the usual coffee routine. Greg partook of his usual morning granola, while I opted for Siggi's plain yogurt with cinnamon, a splash of vanilla, and defrosted blueberries.

The granola we brought along is homemade by Greg and it is absolutely delicious! He made a custom batch for the trip using:

  • Old-fashioned rolled oats & pumpkin seeds

  • Almonds & walnuts

  • Dried blueberries & cranberries

  • Finely shredded coconut and coconut flakes

  • Melted coconut oil & maple syrup

  • Ground cinnamon & vanilla extract (He even added a couple of secret ingredients this time that aren't' in the recipe - not so much a secret because they are shown above.)

Greg decided to take advantage of me working on the blog again, so he packed Artemus into the dinghy.

[Photo: Greg and Artemus heading off on their morning journey through the waters and forest.]

Greg toodled around the area taking pictures and headed over near the waterfall we visited three years ago so Artemus could stretch his legs.

[Photo: A view from the dinghy, along the way.]

[Photo: No human trail in this forest.]

When they reached the shore, Artemus was a little too eager to get off. He scrambled to jump from the dinghy, but his hind legs launched it backward away from the rocks! He was left trying to claw his way up with his front paws while one back leg slipped right into the water. Luckily, Greg still had hold of the leash. Rather than rowing back to shore, Greg just reeled the leash in to pull the dinghy back to the rocks while Artemus hung there by his front paws. It sounded incredibly humorous when he told me about it later!

[Photo: Artemus can't wait to go pee outside again!]

By the afternoon, I managed to get completely caught up on all my posts and finally published them today. It feels absolutely fantastic to be caught up. To celebrate, Greg surprised me with his custom charcuterie bowl since I hadn't eaten since breakfast. What a delightful, thoughtful surprise.

As it had warmed up considerably by this time, I decided that I'd go for a swim rather than do Tai Chi. Swimming is a type of exercise I really love to do, allowing me to get some cardio in while cooling off at the same time. Since I can't do it just anywhere out here, I really wanted to take advantage of it while I could! The water temperature measurement read 71°F. I found it warm on the top and chilly below the surface.

[Photo: The official uniform of the Princess Louisa Inlet Swim Club.] 

We will be having a simple dinner tonight—one we were actually supposed to have last night, but we decided to just have popcorn and watch an episode of The Resident instead. (Yes, what else? We are trying to get to the end of the series!) Tonight's menu is bacon and eggs with reconstituted hashbrowns from Costco, which aren't too bad, actually! Our friends in Comox had recommended them to us a couple of years ago. I decided we will also have a can of baked beans.

We're getting down in our provisions of fresh veggies—we still have cabbage and celery, and I have sauerkraut and kimchi in the fridge (which Greg doesn't care for)—so it's an opportune time to be leaving and heading back to civilization tomorrow.

We will be leaving this wonderful anchorage tomorrow; we've been here a week today! (Minus our day down at Chatterbox Falls). We will be making one stop along the way to Powell River.

Thinking about Powell River brings back memories of our previous stays at Westview Harbour Marina right near the ferry. Once, our oil pump failed, and of course, it took several days to diagnose the problem. We were there for five nights and ended up having to sail without a motor back to our home port, with the support of two of our very good sailing friends who came all the way over from Duncan to help us sail back. The second time was to pick up a new starter motor at the dock that was being delivered by courier on our way to Desolation with our sailing friends. While we were there, we were able to partake in the market that was within walking distance of the marina. I got a lot of exercise during that stay because we were moored at the very end of the docks and had to walk quite a ways to get to the laundry, showers, and washrooms. But that position on the dock ended up being absolutely perfect to sail away from in the early morning!

It’s bittersweet to move on from this gorgeous inlet, but we're ready for the next leg of the adventure!

  • Comments are Welcome! Please feel free to chime in—just make sure to hit PUBLISH when you are done. If you aren't signed into a Google account, your comment will show up as "Anonymous," so please type your first name and last initial in the comment box so I know who I'm replying to! (If you are signed into Google, your name will show up automatically.)
  • Check Back for Updates: I quite often write and update this blog as the day goes by. If you want to catch the whole story, be sure to check back and refresh your browser! I've also been known to add details after the day is over—or even days later if I suddenly remember something I forgot to include.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday, July 14: Day 41: An Unusual Day on Lasqueti

Thursday, July 2: Day 29: Rainy Day in Prideaux Haven

June 4: Day 1: Departure from Maple Bay