Saturday, July 18: Day 45: Working on Spreadsheet Most of the Day!

📊 Day 45: Cracking the Code and Rocky Shore Scrambles

The weather was less than stellar today, which turned out to be the perfect excuse to stay inside and tackle the spreadsheet beast. I dove headfirst into the numbers, and let me tell you... OMG. I had absolutely no idea it would take that long!

I kept getting completely sucked in, constantly thinking to myself, “Oh, I’ll have this sorted out in just a couple of minutes.” Famous last words. I was wrestling with a tricky formatting problem and went back and forth with an AI assistant to try and crack it. For a while, it felt like the two of us were just spinning our wheels and getting nowhere. But persistence paid off! I finally got the entire Revenue table completely finished and automated before bedtime. The Expense table can officially wait until Sunday—I earned a break.

Aside from a few necessary head (bathroom) breaks, eating, stretching, and squeezing in an episode of The Resident, my entire Saturday was consumed by cells and formulas.

While I was trapped in spreadsheet land, Greg and Artemus decided to escape the cabin. They hopped into Big Mack and headed for the shore right behind the boat, right where our stern tie is secured.

I happened to look up from my laptop just in time to catch a video of Greg carefully stepping out of the dinghy and navigating the steep, rocky cliffside, and grabbed another quick clip when he was almost all the way down. He actually made the climb up look pretty easy, but watching from the cockpit, I couldn't help but wonder what it was going to be like for him to come back down those wet rocks!

Greg bringing Artemus up the rocks to shore.

Greg bringing Artemus back down to the dinghy. Quite a shock for Artemus!

Thankfully, both explorers made it back aboard safe and sound.

As you can see Artemus is totally relaxed on daddy's lap after being violently thrown into the dinghy earlier.

Just as we were finally winding down late last night and the sun was setting, the quiet of the anchorage was broken by the sound of an engine running for a long, long time just outside the bay. Then came the voices—a couple of men calling out and shouting back and forth to each other. We couldn't quite make out what they were saying, but it was enough of a commotion that we paused The Resident and stepped out into the cockpit to investigate.

I am so glad we did, and I managed to snap a quick photo of the drama unfolding.

The Tugboat and log boom at dusk.

Right there in the fading light was a tugboat hauling a massive raft of bundled logs. For some bizarre reason, they were trying to bring this incredibly long log boom through the razor-thin stretch of water between Deep Bay and the tiny Paul Island! We had absolutely no idea why they chose that tight squeeze, but it quickly became obvious they were in a serious jam. They seemed completely stuck, just sitting there in the channel and going nowhere fast.

It was a fascinating, eerie sight to watch as the darkness fell. Eventually, we had to leave the tug crew to their log puzzle, head back inside to finish our show, and finally go to bed.

It was a day of hard work on the inside, hard climbing on the outside, and a little late-night maritime mystery to cap it all off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday, July 14: Day 41: An Unusual Day on Lasqueti

Thursday, July 2: Day 29: Rainy Day in Prideaux Haven

June 4: Day 1: Departure from Maple Bay